I love crocheting, knitting, and blogging, but for the past several weeks family life has taken a hold on my time. Joyfully, we attended my son Jeff's wedding in midMay. You all saw the tulle dress I made for his new stepdaughter. She was so happy and proud. This past weekend we were delighted to present a Connecticut reception for family and friends who could not be accommodated in the intimate NYC celebration. The shopping , organizing, cleaning, and food preparation were monumental tasks, but they were so worth the effort. Our 60 guests had a great time. KC, Jeff's bride, got to feel special all over again as she mingled and met the special people in Jeff's and our lives.
Once we had cleaned up and recuperated from our awesome celebration, I could go back to crocheting, knitting, and lilcreates.com. I began working on two projects, a knitted hooded striped cardigan for my granddaughter and and a crocheted blanket with holes for my Threads of Love Group. The sweater will be the subject of another article. The blanket allowed me to experiment with color and was fun to work on
The yarn for the blanket came from a couple of skeins that a friend of my daughter's who thought I might have a use them. The mustardy green and teal were an unlikely combination, but I thought I would give them a try. Since the yarn would not be sufficient for a baby blanket I purchased a multicolored yarn that included some teal. As with many of my other "blankets with holes" there is not a real pattern, I just changed colors as I went along.
I wanted to reach a 33" x 33" square, but as I continued to add rows, I worried that I would not have enough yarn. I started with a ten row square of the mustardy color, followed by 3 rows of teal, 3 rows of mustard, 3 rows of multicolor, 3 rows of mustard, and 3 rows of teal. At this point there was only enough yarn to crochet 1 row of mustard, 2 rows of multicolored, and 2 rows of teal. I was still short of my 33' diameter, but I thought I had enough teal to single crochet 1 row around. I was playing yarn chicken, but I finished with several yards to spare. I also had just enough to single crochet 1 row of multicolored yarn. I liked the contrast and was pleased with the project. The bold colors make for a gender neutral blanket. I will let the ladies in my group decide.